Saturday, March 29, 2008

kinky bali love

Well here starts another evening of fondling fabrics. I started this day out that way as well. First of all I had a road trip in mind for picking up some black cotton. Safe item... just walk into the store and pick up a couple of metres of black. pay and walk out the door. Simple, I did however made the mistake of going to a different quilting store.hmmmm. Let me tell you you walk up to the door and you are greeted by flying geese surrounding the doorway...looks promising its a small house outfitted as a quilt store . Let me tell you even the most devote fabric buster would be quivering in her boots as the sites that greet them as they walk in the door. 4 gorgeous quilts immediately grab my attention. ooooo pretties. A basket of gismos and gotta haves right in front of me ooooh ... I think to my self a couple of things there in that basket I have to pick up , might as well pick it up now. That is just what was in the doorway and I havent even walked into the store proper yet. Well I am comitted now to entering the store... can't let the store cow me into submission . I can be strong. I am just there for black fabric.
One step over the threshold eyes dart to the right, 6 feet shelving with an assortment of FAT
QUARTERS. There is oranges yellows bold and bright, brilliant hues of the florals , spring greens sprouting up on another shelf. Damn I was in trouble. Okay I bargained with myself I will purchase a few patterns maybe .... something springy maybe a floral wall hanging pattern. I have 10 years of quilting magazines at home and a bookcase of books . I don't need another pattern I start mumbling to myself .
"Hello welcome" damn, I am spotted its only going to take the owner 5 minutes talking to me before she figures out I am itching to spend spend spend . " hi " I say to her and duck into a side room that has an assortment of bolts floor to ceiling with sizable display of Black and whites in the middle. I take a deep breath and whoosh I let it out. I am not getting out of here without buying a little something why there is a wall full of neutrals that I know I don't have a big supply of. Then the fondling starts. You know your in trouble when you get all hot and bothered over a swirly purple and pink piece of fabric. How do you help yourself. I didn't bring a safety person with me ... a friend that does not support my fabric addiction. I don't don't have a phone number for Fabric-holics anonymous. "Can I help you" rings out from the other room " No I just need some black fabric" I blurt out. I start pulling bolts off the wall and oogling them, this would be great in..... I love this it would work with that fabric...would 3 yards be enough?
Yikes I have planned 10 projects with the fabric in that room in less than 5 minutes. Slowly back away from the room. Okay I am back in the main room with the owner. And she knowingly asks" First time here?"
Again I mumble "I just need some black, solid black".
" I'm sorry I just sold the last yardage earlier today. I do carry a large blah blah blah blah blah...."
Okay, I tuned out at that point I spotted some patterns and I drift off in my own little mind. I start sniffing out the yummy bali's and batiks that were hidden from view in the back room.
That does it. I pulled a purple out, a mauve , a hot pink ....until there was 20 bolts out and in a pile on the centre display. I opened them up laying them across each other, softly touching them. A veritable orgasm of color, woohoo! Come on ladies you know what I mean when you finally get to where you want to be.
Okay so I didn't sign up for the no buy challenge. I would be falling off the wagon every time I get within eyesight of a quilting store. I still think there should be a 1-800 number so people like me can be talked down into reality. Anyway here are some of the goodies that I bought. I already prewashed the fabrics and they are now ready to pressed. Now once I fold them up where am I going to hide the sizable bundle of color from my husband.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Lynn,

As a fabraholic too, I know exactly where you are coming from. I cannot walk into a store that has fabric, even if it is WalMart or Joann's, and not get something. And the fondling, ahhh. I call all the fabric lined up on shelves eye candy. Sometimes I just like to stand and look at it and dream that it was all in my house. We have a store here called Sunshine Sewing and they have bolts and bolts and bolts of every kind of fabric. I'm glad its not too close to my house as I would be there all the time. Anyway, if you need any help, just ask. You are not alone. Renee

Anonymous said...

Oh oh! You went to Stacy's in Stonewall...what a mistake! Now you're doomed! That store will always be calling you...just ask me :) Good to hear you're okay and back to quilting.

Ursula